Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Home of Peter Shankman - Shankman.com: 12 Hours of Being Poked and Prodded For A Good Reason

So let’s talk about health for a second.

I think the reason I love doing Triathlons, Marathons, bike races, and the like, is because in my other world, I’m such the anti-healthy guy. I mean, think about it for a second – I run in the morning, but then I have to go to three client cocktail parties, at one drink or more a piece. I bike 40 miles in Central Park at 5am, so I can safely consume half a Ray’s Pizza. I do a half Ironman Triathlon, and congratulate myself with a Triple Whopper.

I live one lifestyle, so I can enjoy the other. And hey, you know what? It works for me. It’s probably the only true level of balance I have in my life.

And that’s why I was so interested (and a bit scared) when OhioHealth’s McConnell Executive Health and Wellness Program invited me out for a full-day executive physical.

First, the disclosures: OhioHealth paid for all of the physical, the tests, the lab-work, and my food while on-site.

Now. I was interested for several reasons. First and foremost, Executive Physicals are getting some new found respect in a world of 11-second doctor visits, where you spend more time filling out your insurance paperwork then the doctor actually spends with you. And it’s not the doctor’s fault, per se – it’s simply the world we live in. I’m not going to get into how to fix that hot mess, but I’ll tell you what I learned about the program, and why everyone should do it – And of course, there’s the kicker – it’s not cheap. Having an entire day devoted to you is expensive. We’ll get into that later. Because I think I’ve found a workaround for some of it...Please continue reading @ The Home of Peter Shankman - Shankman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment