Friday, April 16, 2010

TAXI - BLOG: An Open Apology to Facebook

Dear Facebook,

I can’t speak for everyone in the advertising business, that wouldn’t be fair.
But I will speak for myself and say that I am sorry. I am so, so, so very sorry.

We have abused you. We have treated you like a bar tab on a corporate MasterCard.
We’ve simply gone too far.

I have been judging some awards shows lately, and I have come to realize that we have filled you with millions (perhaps billions) of profiles for every major and excruciatingly minor character from every ad campaign on the face of the earth. Don’t get me wrong, there are great examples of agencies treating you well, but too often your role in our work seems to get relegated (in terms of time and budget) to some poor art director creating a fan page at 3am on the night before a campaign launches. This is not fair to the art director, it’s not fair to the audience, but mostly, it’s not fair to you.

To make amends, I will go on record right now and say that the guy in the oversized hat the background of a spot does not need a fan page. Nor does the flying dog. And nor does the fake company that sells the fake product we invented that’s worse than our client’s product.

I am very sorry.
I will try to do better.
TAXI - BLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment